Every week or so I’m going to share what things I’ve read or been pointed to that I’ve enjoyed. It’s my hope that you’ll discover something new to get excited about or something to make you smile or frown. A little tidbit that might open up the world just a little more for your own journey. You’re welcome, or I’m sorry… depending on the item.
- 17 Death-Defying Photos That Will Make Your Heart Skip A Beat – I’m an adrenaline junky at heart, and there are a ton of things that I want to do that aren’t necessarily wise or safe in any way, shape or form. Of course now that I have Little Lass the list sits stagnant until she gets to an age where she can either join me or that I won’t be worried that she’s too young to have good memories of me should the unspeakable happen. Some of these are going on that list.
- Fatal Victorian Fashion and the Allure of the Poison Garment – I need to go to Canada. Toronto to be specific. For this exhibit. History is fascinating in general, and so is human nature. This sort of morbid spin is a way to experience and examine both. Also, you’ll find that there will be something like this in every list I create. I throughly enjoy the morbid, the spooky and the creepy.
- Let’s Kill – If the morbid, slightly demented, and crazy isn’t your thing don’t click that link. A game about sticks figures that go around killing other stick figures is not for you. Go to the next entry. For those of you that don’t have a problem with any of that: I played this game earlier this week with a few friends and it was a great time. Flyboy even enjoyed it and he doesn’t like card games of any kind really. Which is why it’s going to be added to my collection.
- Did Amelia Earhart Perish as a Castaway on an Island? – Oh Amelia Earhart. She holds a special place in my heart. I remember writing a paper on her as a kid and being completely entranced. She was strong and independent, she shattered all of the females ideals of not only her time but any time (because, let’s face it ladies, we’re still needing to fight the fight). What happened to her eventually has always been one of the greatest mysteries, every year on the anniversary of her disappearance I’ve waited to hear someone say something about coming closer to solving it. This turned out to be the year.
- How Finland Keeps Kids Focused – Written by Tim Walker, an American teacher that is currently teaching in Finland, this article illustrates his observations of the way that a school day in Finland helps children learn. I have to say that I agree with his assessments. I also had no idea that recesses have been largely done away with in the American school system. Really? Really? If you had stuck me in all day with out recess I would have been a holy terror. He also writes a blog about his experience at Taught By Finland and you can follow his Twitter feed.
- Last but not by all means least. This video that totally made my week: Talk Nerdy to Me.